One area where I’ve determined I can cut monthly costs is cable (or I should say satellite TV in my case). I currently spend $95 for DirectTV and have been stuck in a contract for a few years. However, that contract ends next month, so I can finally start looking at alternatives (goal is to get to around $35/month). Here is a list of some of these options:
Basic Alternatives (which I have or will be getting):
- HD Antenna – basic channels [3,5,9,68]
Streaming Programming Options:
- Apple TV
- Google TV/Chromecast
- Sling TV
- Amazon Fire / Amazon Prime Instant Video
Over the next several weeks I will be looking into the pros and cons of each of these providers of streaming media/video.
Things that will factor in the final decision:
- Price (noted above)
- I watch a lot of sports (mainly what I watch on TV) including ESPN, MSG, etc.
- My son watches a lot of Nick Jr., Disney Jr., etc.
- My wife only has a few shows on ABC she watches, along with the occasional TLC show
The first one I will look at will be Sling TV. Stay tuned!
Do you use any of these services/providers in place of cable? If so, what has been your experience?